My review for this week is coming a day early!
Swept Off My Feet
by Ines Bautista-Yao
Edition: ebook, 2017
Synopsis: Why my life sucks
by Geri Lazaro
1. My dad left when I was a kid.
2. My mom is in love (insert eye roll).
3. With a guy who is like 10 years younger than her!
4. My friends think he’s hot. (Gross)
5. I love ballet but our dance studio has a leak and we have to dance in this smelly studio that doubles as an aikido dojo.
6. There’s this Dojo guy who thinks the studio belongs to him.
7. Friends think Dojo guy is cute. (Ew.) (Okay, objectively maybe but still, ew.)
8. I’m failing algebra.
9. Need to quit either basketball or ballet. Or both.
10. Dojo guy keeps showing up! (Fine, he does aikido in the same building but whatever.)
11. Dojo guy is asking me to dance with him. And maybe he is as cute as my friends say.
12. I don’t know what to do anymore!
Geri feels torn between her two loves: basketball and ballet. Her grades are suffering, and a choice has to be made. “Dojo guy” offers his help but can Geri bring herself to trust when her life has been shattered by men before?
This is a very sweet YA story. It is a quick read, so at times it is hard to really feel any depth to Geri. She’s an angry teenager, though there are moments when she is able to shake it off to be more than that. Her passion for two extracurricular activities that do not mix, ballet and basketball, was fascinating, and her struggle to keep them both in her life was interesting.
“Dojo guy” (his name is Bas, by the way) would have annoyed me as much as he annoyed Geri, so I found her change of heart towards him hard to believe. The combination of ballet and aikido was a fascinating part I wish we had seen more of.
Overall, this is an enjoyable read for an afternoon and I would recommend it to any reader who enjoys the young adult genre.